The National Testing Agency (NTA) has received applications from 15 lakh medical aspirants for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test – UG 2019 / NEET (UG) 2019. The exam is scheduled to be held on Sunday, 5th May 2019 this year. Last year 13 lakh students took the test. The number is high this year as NEET (UG) 2019 has been made mandatory for those who wish to study medicine abroad as well. Also, a total of 3,000 centres will be required to accommodate these students. Given this, one can imagine how tough the competition is going to be!! There must be a palpable frenzy in the air by now!! Acing the prestigious annual exam calls for preparations to be done on a war footing. Each one of you have a battle to win!! Soon it will be time once again to dig your heads deep into your books!! Except that the NTA will conduct the NEET (UG) 2019, the syllabus, exam pattern and scoring of the NEET (UG) 2019 remain unchanged.
Subject-wise topics for Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Zoology and Botany) from Standard 11 and Standard 12 are given in Appendix 1 of the Information Bulletin NEET (UG)-2019 in the Downloads section of NEET (UG) 2019 exam question paper will have 180 MCQ-type questions for 720 marks. A candidate gets +4 marks for every right answer and -1 mark for a wrong answer. For unanswered questions, the candidate does not lose marks. The candidate can opt to take the exam in English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Odiya, Kannada and Urdu.
Now with barely two full months on hand, you have to make sure that precious time is not wasted. As a candidate preparing for NEET (UG) 2019, you now have to schedule your time optimally and use the best available resources
I. NEET (UG) 2019 Preparation
Must Do Tips for,
- Preparation for NEET (UG) 2019
Assuming you have solved the previous years’ question papers as well as gone through NEET books and Test Series, you must be aware of the weightage given to Biology. Hence, scoring well in Biology is the key to cracking NEET (UG) 2019. It is easy to pocket a score of 300+ in Biology when the preparation is done the right way. Also, scoring in Physics and Chemistry should not be difficult either with the following tips.
- NCERT books are your BEST bet for the exam syllabus, followed by NCERT Solutions as your next best bet. With step-by-step solutions to problems, it helps you to internalise the concepts very well.
- Identify your weak areas by taking NEET Mock Tests at regular intervals. This will enable you to assess where you stand. Taking mock tests will also help you gauge your speed of completing the test.
- Solve previous year’s NEET Test Series and sample papers. This way, you will know the trends of topics over the past years and the type of questions.
- For Factual Biology, early in your preparation, prepare fact sheets from the NCERT books. Pin these sheets to your study board and go through them over and over.
- For Conceptual Biology, reading NCERT material even once is sufficient. Attempt questions from various sources to test your understanding of concepts.
- Target the topics common to Standard 11th and Standard 12th for Physics and Chemistry.
- Focus on chapters that are asked every year for Physics and Chemistry.
- Keeping in mind the ‘sign’ convention for Physics and Chemistry, make a cheat sheet during preparation. This helps in numerical-based questions in these subjects.
- Revise theoretical concepts closer to the exam day for Physics, Chemistry and Biology (PCB).
- Actual Examination NEET (UG) 2019
- For the first 45 minutes, try solving the entire section of Biology.
- If you do not know the answer, do not attempt the question for either of the subjects.
- If you are unsure of the answer, re-read the question and strike out the unlikely options. If you are undecided between two options, use your judgment or better still, do not risk attempting.
II. Perfect Your Last Minute NEET (UG) 2019 Preparation with Target’s ‘Absolute’ and ‘Challenger’ Series
For the best study material and online test, series options are aplenty. While it may be difficult to single out the best online Test, Target Publications’ ‘Absolute’ and ‘Challenger’ series of guidebooks compiled for competitive exams are excellent. The series is specially curated with utmost care and as per the notified syllabus for NEET (UG). The ‘Absolute Series‘ is a comprehensive exam preparation guidebook compiled for beginners. Additional features such as ‘Knowledge Bank’ and ‘Googly Question’ provided by the publication house kindle the curiosity and thinking skills, thus giving the student an edge to score better. The ‘Challenger Series‘ is for those students who wish to go the extra mile. The series with additional features such as Formulae, Shortcuts, Mind over Matter and Problems to Ponder is aimed at preparing every student to master the subject and thus score higher. Students can also opt for the NEET-UG Online Test Series to better their chances of acquiring a great score in the entrance examination.